In this business scenario we have an unknown Rogue Process that is setting the Description field to itself in an Account periodically.
We are unsure as to what is causing it but we can see it happening. This is having a negative effect as it's setting off a downstream Process that shouldn't be getting triggered at that time as the Description field isn't actually changing.
We want to identify and stop this without a lengthy and costly inspection of our numerous processes. We can do this with a simple North52 formula.
North52 BPA Solution
The North52 BPA solution works like this:
- A formula is created that will trigger whenever the Description field is updated
- When triggered, the formula will check to see if the Description field value changed
- If the field has not changed, the formula will remove the Description field from the Save event, thereby not triggering the Downstream Process
- Navigate to Settings > N52 Formula
- Create a new formula, setting the following values in the Formula Guide:
- Source Entity set to Account
- Set Formula Type to Save - Perform Action
- Select the Classic editor
- Change the Name of the formula to Rogue Process Fix
- Expand Source & Target
- Scroll down Source Property and click on Description
- Expand Deployment Settings
- For Pipeline Stage select Pre-Operation (Synchronous)
- In the Classic editor copy and paste the formula below:
- Click Save
Setup Rogue Process
We want to simulate a rogue process:
- Create a workflow that is triggered on demand. This workflow will set the Description field of an Account to itself:
Setup Downstream Process
Create a workflow that is triggered whenever the description field in an Account entity is changed. The North52 formula will ensure that the rogue process above will not trigger this workflow.
- For this example the workflow will create a Contact using the Account's details:
Run the Rogue Process on an Account when the formula is Deactivated and then run it when the formula is Activated.
You will see in Settings > System Jobs that the Downstream Process does not run when the formula is active.
Did you know?
North52 Decision Suite helps streamline complex business processes
North52 Decision Suite is a cloud-based or on-premise decision management/decision engine platform for the Dynamics 365 and Power Platform that uses data, analytics and business rules to automate decisions.
Companies use North52 to streamline their processes, improve the quality of the decisions inside their Dynamics 365 systems, and shorten the time it takes to adjust to business and competitive changes.