⚠️Please note if you are using Dynamics v8 or earlier, use the legacy information below.
This article will walk you through how to deploy your North52 Formula, Scheduler, xCache and Scheduler records (Business Rules) from one Dynamics 365 instance to another. For example this could be when you are moving between a development and test instance.
North52 uses the out of the box feature from Microsoft called Solutions to move the items from one instance to another.
Steps to deploy from one Dynamics 365 instance to another
The process is very similar to how you normally do this within Dynamics 365 in that we use a solution to deploy all the Formula, Schedule, and xCache records.
- Navigate to the source https://make.powerapps.com and select the environment which contains the North52 business rules you want to migrate
- Navigate to the list of solutions and select the solution named North52 Business Process Activities Deployment (or your custom solution)
- Click the Export button
- The solution can be export either as an unmanaged or managed solution depending on your needs
- Save the solution file to your PC
- Open https://make.powerapps.com and select the target Dynamics 365 instance
- Click the Import button to import the solution
- Follow the steps provided by the wizard
- Click the Publish All Customizations button so that the Formula, Scheduler and xCache records get created
- The process to create the North52 records runs in the background as a workflow named N52 Publish All
- You can monitor this under System Jobs
By default, the solution North52 Business Process Activities Deployment will contain any North52 Formula, Scheduler, xCache and Data Packager records that you have created in your Dynamics 365 instance.
It can be exported and imported to other Dynamics 365 instances as you would normally do with other solutions containing your customizations.
The Formula, Scheduler, xCache and Data Packager records get created as XML web resources within the North52 Business Process Activities Deployment solution.
This process happens automatically for you as you create North52 records using the normal user interface.
If you make subsequent updates to a North52 record these resources in the solution will get automatically updated as well so they are always kept in sync. The screenshot below shows how 3 formulas look like within this solution:
You do not need to use the North52 Business Process Activities Deployment solution. By changing the Deployment Settings within your Formulas, Schedules, xCache and Data Packages, you can set them to be in any custom solution.
This means that you can combine your other customizations with North52 Formulas, Schedules, xCache and Data Packages and create a solution for a specific business requirement/area - we make it easy to work within your existing processes.
When moving custom solutions it is recommended to use the same Export/Import steps as above.