In this scenario we will demonstrate how to quickly and easily set up a Decision Table based around Credit Cards.
For this article it is assumed that you have at least basic familiarity with Decision Tables and/or have read the following articles:
We will use the following custom fields on the Contact entity to decide if a customer is entitled to a Platinum Credit card:
- Annual Income
- Total Assets of Applicant
- Credit Score
If a customer matches any of the scenarios below then they are entitled to a Platinum credit card.
As you can see there are 12 possible combinations each with 3 variables to check which means 36 data points to check.
The easiest and fastest way to achieve the desired functionality is with a North52 Decision Table.
|< 100000||< 500000||> 188|
|< 100000||Between 50000 and 100000||> 180|
|< 100000||> 1000000||> 172|
|Between 100000 and 150000||< 500000||> 164|
|Between 100000 and 150000||Between 50000 and 100000||> 159|
|Between 100000 and 150000||> 1000000||> 151|
|Between 150000 and 200000||< 500000||> 145|
|Between 150000 and 200000||Between 50000 and 100000||> 134|
|Between 150000 and 200000||> 1000000||> 131|
|> 200000||< 500000||> 124|
|> 200000||Between 50000 and 100000||> 120|
|> 200000||> 1000000||> 112|
N52 Formula Manager Solution
The Formula Manager solution works like this,
- A new North 52 Formula of type 'Save - Perform Action' is created on the Contact entity
- The Source Properties for this formula are 'Annual Income', 'Total Assets of Applicant' and 'Credit Score'
- Set the Event to be 'Create & Update'
- Switch the North52 formula to the Decision Table editor (Commands > Toggle Editor)
- Add 2 additional Condition Columns and set the 3 Columns to check against the Annual Income, Total Assets and Credit Score
- Set the Action Column to update the Credit Card field.
- Finally we add the condition values to the to Decision Table editor and save
Testing the Decision Table
We open a Contact record and set the following fields and values
- Annual Income to €120,000
- Total Assets of Application to €440,000
- Credit Score to 174
Did you know?
You can easily copy/clone test data in TestShield
Once you have set up test data with TestShield it is easy to create a copy/clone and make changes. It is centrally stored so that all users creating tests can use the test data in their tests. This approach dramatically reduces the time it takes to create tests, enabling teams to deliver Dynamics 365 projects faster and at less cost.