A business that is managing construction Opportunities has many dates which specify key milestone dates for managing a bid. They have several active bids at one time and each bid could be at different stages.
They want to be able to create a view which shows the open Opportunities by the next milestone due and show what that milestone is.
For this example, the milestone date fields are set up on the Opportunity as:
- Pre-Bid Meeting
- Schematic Design
- Design Development
- Construction Document
- Bid Date
Note : You will need to create the following fields for this example:
new_prebidmeeting, new_schematicdesign, new_designdevelopment, new_constructiondocument, new_biddate, new_nextmilestone and new_nextmilestonedate
North52 Decision Suite Solution
The North52 Decision Suite solution works like this:
- A daily Schedule is set up on the Opportunity entity to run a workflow for each open Opportunity
- The workflow calls a Process Genie formula which uses the MinOfDatesWithAnchor function to calculate the nearest milestone date and populates a field called Next Milestone Date
- The formula also uses the FindMatchParameter function to return the name of the field which matches the date returned for the Next Milestone Date
- A view can now be easily created to show which milestones are approaching for open Opportunities
North52 Decision Suite Steps
The following set of steps outline how to create this Formula:
- Create a new formula of type Process Genie
- Set the Mode to 'ServerSide'
- Set Display Format to 'String'
- Set the Source Entity to 'Opportunity'
- Go to the Formula editor
- Copy and paste the formula below
- Click Save
- Copy the Short Code in the top right hand corner for later
Smartflow ( SetVar('ClosestDate' , MinOfDatesWithAnchor(utcdate(), '>=', [opportunity.new_prebidmeeting], [opportunity.new_schematicdesign], [opportunity.new_designdevelopment] , [opportunity.new_constructiondocument], [opportunity.new_biddate]) ) , SetVar ('UpcomingMilestone', FindMatchParameter(GetVar('ClosestDate'), [opportunity.new_prebidmeeting], [opportunity.new_schematicdesign], [opportunity.new_designdevelopment] , [opportunity.new_constructiondocument], [opportunity.new_biddate])) , SetVar ('UpcomingMilestone', GetAttributeDisplayName(GetVar('UpcomingMilestone')) ), UpdateRecord('opportunity', [opportunity.opportunityid], SetAttribute('new_nextmilestonedate', GetVar('ClosestDate') ), SetAttribute('new_nextmilestone', GetVar('UpcomingMilestone') ) ) )
N52 Workflow Setup
The following set of steps outline how to create this workflow:
- Go to Settings > Processes
- Click New
- Give the process a name
- For Category , select Workflow
- For Entity , select Opportunity
- Untick Record is Created
- Tick As an on-demand process
- Click Add Step > North52 > N52 Process Genie
- Click Set Properties
- Past your shortcode formula into Formula Shortcode
- Click Save and Close
- Click Save
- Click Activate.
The following set of steps outline how to create this N52 Schedule:
- Go to Settings > N52 Schedule
- Click + NEW
- Give it a Name
- Set the Frequency to Weekly
- Leave the ScheduleType as Workflow
- In Workflow, search for the workflow you created above
- Choose the Next Run Datetime
- In the Fetch Xml Query, paste in the below.
- Click Save.
<fetch version="1.0" output-format="xml-platform" mapping="logical" distinct="false"> <entity name="opportunity"> <attribute name="name" /> <attribute name="customerid" /> <attribute name="estimatedvalue" /> <attribute name="statuscode" /> <attribute name="opportunityid" /> <order attribute="name" descending="false" /> <filter type="and"> <condition attribute="statecode" operator="eq" value="0" /> </filter> </entity> </fetch>
Now you ready to test
Did you know?
Over 300 customers use North52!
Join over 300 organizations worldwide who trust North52 to drive their digital transformation into the future:
Serious Power without Code: Easily build business rules, tests and data packages using our point-and-click editors. Even the most complex business rules are easily configured.
Build Fast: We’ve built the North52 tools with our user’s productivity in mind – up to 10x faster than writing custom code.
Awesome Support: We take pride in providing world class support to our customers and partners, ensuring you are successful with North52.
Future Proof: We ensure your business rules and tests that you configure today, will continue to work with the ever changing Dynamics 365 platform.