In this scenario we need to execute a Action process which has input parameters as part of a formula. To demonstrate this we will update the custom field Weekly Message in the Account entity based on data entered into the Description field.
North52 Decision Suite Solution
The North52 Decision Suite solution works like this:
- We create a formula to trigger whenever the Description is updated
- Once the formula has been triggered, it will execute an Action
- This Action will update the custom field Weekly Message
North52 Decision Suite Steps
- Create a new formula of type 'Save - Perform Action'
- Set the Event to 'Create & Update'
- Set the Source Entity to 'Account'
- Set the Source Property to 'Description'
- Copy and paste the formula description below into the Formula Editor canvas
- Click Save
- Within Microsoft CRM go to Settings > Processes
- Click on New
- Provide a process name (in our example Generate Weekly Message)
- For Category, select 'Action'
- For Entity, select 'Account'
- Click OK
- In the form for the Action Process, click on the green + sign under the Hide Process Arguments heading
- On the right-hand side complete the fields:
- For Name, enter activitycount
- For Type, select Integer
- Delete everything in Description
- For the process steps, click on Add Step > Update Record
- Click on Set Properties
- Under the Weekly Message field enter "Weekly Message : ", leaving the cursor just after the colon
- In the Format Assistant on the righthand side, click on the Look for dropdown
- Under Local Values, click on Arguments
- From the second dropdown select activitycount
- Click Add
- Click OK
- Click Save and Close
- Click on the Activate button to activate the process
- You are now ready for testing.
ExecuteAction('new_GenerateWeeklyMessage', 'account', [account.accountid], SetAttributeAction('activitycount', 'Integer', [account.description] ) )
Wizard - ExecuteAction
Please see below the wizard you can use to create the ExecuteAction() function call used in this formula.
Note : You will need to create the Action beforehand. You will also need to add the SetAttributeAction part to it afterwards
Did you know?
North52's Data Packager helps move configuration data between instances
North52 Data Packager is an add-on for North52 Business Process Activities which enables you to easily move data from one instance to another. Users simply select the records they would like to package up and North52 Data Packager adds the data to a data package sheet, ready for export. Moving the records to another instance requires the package solution to be imported and ‘unpacked’ on the target instance.
North52 Data Packager is ideal for:
- Moving Dynamics configuration records
- Copying Dynamics Portal records
- Distributing demonstration data