This business scenario requires us to build a set of dependent pick-lists between the option sets below. We need it so if the continent 'Europe' is selected then all the Country pick-list values are filtered to just countries in Europe. Following that if 'Ireland' is selected as a country then the City pick-list needs to be filtered to all the cities in Ireland.
N52 Formula Manager Solution
The Formula Manager solution works like this,
- A formula is setup to execute whenever the Account form loads or the Continent pick-list changes.
- The formula checks to see what Continent has been selected
- It then sets the corresponding values in the country pick-list
- The same set of steps can be used to setup a similar formula on the Country pick-list for filtering cities
- So there will be a ripple\cascading effect on the pick-lists
N52 Formula Manager Steps
These steps assume you have setup & populated your own set of pick-lists. Note the pick-list values in the sample formula will need to be changed to reflect your values. The steps below are just for the Continent pick-list so a similar set of steps are required for the Country pick-list.
- Create a new formula of type 'ClientSide - Perform Action'
- Set the Source Entity to 'Account'
- Set the Source Property to 'OnLoad & Continent'
- Copy & paste the formula below into the formula description field & click save
- Click 'N52 Commands' -> 'Publish Formula'
- You are now ready to test
Case([account.new_continentname], When('Europe'), Then (SetPicklistValues('new_country', false, 100000010,100000011, 100000012,100000013, 100000014,100000015, 100000016,100000017)), When('North America'), Then (SetPicklistValues('new_country', false, 100000020,100000021, 100000022,100000023, 100000024,100000025, 100000026,100000027)), When('South America'), Then (SetPicklistValues('new_country', false, 100000030,100000031, 100000032, 100000033, 100000034,100000035, 100000036,100000037)), When('Africa'), Then (SetPicklistValues('new_country', false, 100000040,100000041, 100000042,100000043, 100000044,100000045, 100000046,100000047)), When('Asia'), Then (SetPicklistValues('new_country', false, 100000050,100000051, 100000052,100000053, 100000054,100000055, 100000056,100000057)), When('Oceania'), Then (SetPicklistValues('new_country', false, 100000060,100000061, 100000062,100000063, 100000064,100000065, 100000066,100000067)), Default( SetPicklistValues('new_country', true, 1)) )
Did you know?
North52 helps Insurance Providers manage complex rules in their Dynamics 365 systems
The North52 Decision Suite helps insurance professionals manage the thousands of rules that form insurance approval, rate and commission calculations. Our easy to use, point and click interface allows for quick updating of rules by knowledgeable insurance analysts without programming experience. We assist in processes such as:
- Task checklists
- Quote calculations
- Product configuration
- Claims handling