This is a follow on scenario to xRM Formula #25 User Actioned Form Notifications.
Its business scenario was that whenever a user opens an Account record or a user changes the category of a customer that you check the value of outstanding Invoices for that customer. And if the value is more than 50k then display a form level notification to the user stating not to create any more Orders for this customer.
Now we want to enhance this so that there is a validation rule put in place that stops any user trying to break the above business requirement. This means no new orders should be created for Accounts with 50k+ of outstanding invoices & it must be validated in real-time.
North52 Decision Suite Solution
The North52 Decision Suite solution works like this,
- We create a formula of type 'Validation' for the Order entity
- This formula will be executed whenever a new Order is Created
- When a user attempts to create a new Order it find the sum of outstanding invoices for that Account
- Any if it exceeds 50k then it will stop the Order creation & display an error message to the user
North52 Decision Suite Steps
- Create a new formula of type 'Validation'
- Set the Source entity to 'Order'
- Set the Source property entity to 'All Properties '
- Copy & paste the formula below into the formula description field & click save
- You are ready to test
if( (FindValue('account', 'accountid', [salesorder.customerid], 'accountcategorycode','NotFound') = 2 and
Sum('Invoices.totalamount') > 50000),
'Unable to create an order for an account if its category is
standard and has over 50k of outstanding invoices', 'NoOp')
Wizard - FindValue
Please see below the wizard you can use to create the FindValue() function call used in this formula.
Note 1 : to find the value for Equals Value, you will need to go to the Explore tab > Order > Customer
Did you know?
North52 Helps with Complex Logic as Part of a Workflow / Power Automate Flow
The North52 Decision Suite provides functionality for you embed complex logic as part of a native Dynamics Process (Workflow/Action) or a Power Automate Flow.
Imagine if you could do an elibility check with several hundred possible combinations as part of your workflow process? You can do this easily by combining North52's Process Genie functionality with a Decision Table.
Even something as mundane as returning the next working day for your workflow (surprisingly difficult to achieve without code) can be easily done with North52.