In this business scenario when a user converts an Email to a Case you need to ensure that the description field (Body) from the Email is copied across without formatting to the newly created Case.
This formula can be easily extended for 'Email to Lead' & 'Email to Opportunity'
N52 Formula Manager Solution
The Formula Manager solution works like this,
- We create a formula of type 'Save - Perform Action' for the Email entity
- This formula will be executed Server Side only when the Regarding Object ID field on the Email record is updated *
- It will check to see if the related Regarding Object is of type Case (i.e. incident)
- And if true it will update the description on the Case record with that of the Email description less any formatting.
*Note 1 : When a user clicks the 'Email to Case' menu option the CRM platform behind the scenes creates the Case record & then updates the Regarding ID field on the Email record with a reference to the newly created case. You can verify all of this by looking at the audit trail for the Email record.
N52 Formula Manager Steps
- Create a new formula of type 'Save - Perform Action'
- Set the Mode to 'Server Side'
- Set the Event to 'Update'
- Set the Source entity to Email
- Set the Source Property to 'Regarding'
- Copy & paste the formula below into the formula description field & click save
- You are ready to test, by creating an email & then clicking the 'Convert To Case' menu option on the Email entity
if([email.regardingobjectidtype] = 'incident', UpdateRecord('incident', [email.regardingobjectid], SetAttribute('description', StripHtml([email.description])) ), 'NoOp')